Friday, September 18, 2015

Addiction

I heard this month is National Addiction month. That, and a few other things, have reminded me of this article that I read a while back. I found it fascinating, and I think there is truth to it. I really recommend reading it if you have the time. Here is my favorite part:
"We should stop talking about 'addiction' altogether, and instead call it 'bonding.' A heroin addict has bonded with heroin because she couldn't bond as fully with anything else. 
So the opposite of addiction is not sobriety. It is human connection." 
Human beings are bonding animals. We need to connect and love... But we have created an environment and a culture that cut us off from connection, or offer only the parody of it offered by the Internet. The rise of addiction is a symptom of a deeper sickness in the way we live -- constantly directing our gaze towards the next shiny object we should buy, rather than the human beings all around us."
I saw a post from a mom who says her kids will come home sad or crying because their friends spend all their time on their phones and hardly acknowledge each other. I think that's really sad, and a little scary. If these young kids never learn to connect and bond with people, where are they going to turn for bonding? Are we creating a huge new wave of future addicts?

A while ago, we watched the first couple episodes of "The Last Man on Earth". The show wasn't really that great, but the idea of being the last person on earth really made me think. I kept wondering what would I do with all that time to myself? And the more I pondered it, the more I realized that our relationships are truly the only things that matter. I could keep busy for a while, catch up on all my hobbies, learn new things, but it would all be meaningless. Things don't matter, people do.

The Book of Mormon teaches us that all things will fail, except for charity which is the pure love of Christ. All things will fail, except for the love we develop for those around us.
Moroni 7:46-47:
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
I think we all have addictions to one degree or another. We turn to things to find comfort, satisfaction, or fulfillment. Whether it is drugs, pornography, and gambling; or ice cream, shopping, and Facebook. Cookies have always been a favorite of mine when I'm having a hard day. I bought a huge box of Oreos when P2 was born, so that I could have something to get me through the sleepless nights. When I had to cut out sugar for health reasons, I turned to shopping on Amazon. Getting packages always made me feel better. But it was always fleeting, which I think makes it addicting. It doesn't last, so you go back to eat or buy more.

All things will fail. Except for charity. Nothing else will bring us the happiness and satisfaction we crave in this life. So when we seek for something to help us feel better, don't turn to things. Turn to people. Create real, meaningful relationships with those around you. Look people in the eye. Turn off your phone. Be with people, not just around people.

No comments:

Post a Comment